The November shows @ Warfield in 1979 are by many fans (& collectors) considered to be the highlight of the “Gospel Tours”.
Nov 6,7,11 & 16 are the shows I’ve been listening to…. and Nov 16 is my personal favorite. It is an amazing concert… come to think of it… it’s actually one of my absolute fav Dylan concerts, top 10 for sure.
Here is a stunning “When You Gonna Wake Up”:
“…his fall 1979 concerts. “What Can I Do For You?”, “Solid Rock”, “Saving Grace”, “Covenant Woman” and “In The Garden” as preformed at these shows are some of the fines work in Dylan’s oeuvre, but you’d never know that from listening to “Saved”, the 1980 studio album that features these compositions.
…….you’re awareness and appreciation of Dylan’s greatness is incomplete until you here these songs (and “When He Returns”) as performed live in the fall of 1979..
~Paul Williams (Performing Artist 74-86)
When He Returns:
“….this gospel show explodes with vocal passion to be found in few other Dylan periods.”
- Gotta Serve Somebody
- I Believe In You
- When You Gonna Wake Up
- When He Returns
- Man Gave Names To All The Animals
- Precious Angel
- Slow Train
- Covenant Woman
- Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One
Mona Lisa Young: God Uses Ordinary People ( ? )
- Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking
- Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others)
- Solid Rock
- Saving Grace
- Saved (Bob Dylan/Tim Drummond)
- What Can I Do For You?
- In The Garden
- Blessed Be The Name
- Pressing On
Solid Rock (one of the best versions ever…):
- Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
- Fred Tackett (guitar)
- Spooner Oldham (keyboards)
- Tim Drummond (bass)
- Terry Young (keyboards)
- Jim Keltner (drums)
- Regina Havis , Helena Springs , Mona Lisa Young (background vocals).
And a BEAUTIFUL In The Garden:
Bob Dylan concerts @ JV here
- Still On The Road – Olof Björner
- Bob Dylan: Performing Artist: The Middle Years, 1974-1986
(amazon.com – link)